The Ketogenic diet has become one of the most popular diets in today’s world. This diet focused on the elimination of carbs from your foods and replacing them with proteins. It does so, as the body will be able to produce energy from the protein itself. According to some researches, this diet is quite an effective one.
But you will be surprised to know that this diet comes with some side-effects as well. One of the most common side effects of this diet is a headache and this headache is commonly known as keto headache. Today we are going to discuss the causes and the preventions of this keto headache. Read below to know further.
Causes of keto headache:-
Low blood sugar:-
Glucose is one of the most essential carbs for our body as it helps to produce energy for our body and brain. So during the keto diet when we cut off the carb, it gets replaced by ketone bodies that drastically dropped your blood sugar level. This may lead to low blood sugar levels which will create stress in your brain and therefore a headache.
Another major side effect of the keto diet is dehydration as during this diet people tend to urinate more for shifting to ketosis and our insulin production level also decreases. Dehydration sometimes causes severe headaches.
Preventions of keto headache:-
1) During the keto diet one must drink lots of water to avoid dehydration. One must drink at least two liters of water during this following this diet.
2) You must limit the level of consumption of your alcohol as it dehydrates you causing frequent urination.
3) Eat low carb and water-rich foods like zucchini, celery, lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, raw tomatoes, etc.
4) To reduce the risk of electrolytes imbalance, you must add salts to your food lightly.
5) During the initial days of this diet one must avoid intense exercise as it can create stress in your body causing headaches.
[Note:- You must consult your doctor before changing anything in your lifestyle]